7 Tips to Fire Up Fat Loss

1. Follow the 80:20 rule

Eat clean 80% of the time and treat yourself for the other 20%. I like to save my 20% indulgences for eating out with friends and family or when I’m having a craving. The aim is to eat clean, nutritious foods like lean protein, vegetables, fruits, wholegrains and healthy fats most of the time and don’t feel guilty about enjoying your favourite ‘unhealthy’ foods every now and then. One unhealthy meal is not going to make you fat, just like one healthy meal is not going to make you lean.

I have created a cleaner eating grocery list as a guide for choosing proteins, carbs, fats and vegetables to help you create healthy, nutritious meals. 

>> Click here to download your free copy <<

2. Create a calorie deficit

For fat loss to occur you need to be eating fewer calories then your body burns therefore you need to be eating the right amount of food for YOUR body, there is no ‘one size fits all’ diet or meal plan. I would love to teach you how to very easily calculate your calories and macros for fat loss, so I am creating a guide which will be available online soon. For now you can use an online calculator such as this one, which will give you a guideline to start with. 

3. Workout 3-5 times a week

Exercising for a minimum of 3 times a week can help to get the feel good hormones flowing which can keep you motivated to eat healthy and help curb emotional eating, it may even blunt hunger and appetite levels. Exercising regularly also helps to reduce body fat by burning energy and excess calories, plus the more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest since lean muscle increases metabolism by requiring more energy to maintain then body fat. Aim to do any form of activity for at least 30 minutes a session 3 - 5 times a week.

4. High/Max intensity interval training

It burns a ton of calories and increases the metabolism, if your not doing HIIT you should be, it is a very effective fat loss tool. Traditional high intensity interval training (HIIT) involves short bursts of high intensity exercise, followed by longer periods of rest (for example, a 30 second sprint followed by a 60 second walk/rest. Max interval training, such as INSANITY, involves long periods of high intensity and shorter periods of rest. In INSANITY Live we do 4 x 30 second moves followed by 30 seconds of rest, it’s so fun that time flies by. I teach INSANITY Live classes in London, if you live close by I’d love for you to join us for a fat burning work out. >> You can book a class here <<

5. Drink more water

You know you need to drink more water (the recommended amount being 2-3 liters a day) but here are a few reasons why getting in your 2-3L helps with fat loss. The liver and kidneys need water to efficiently metabolise dietary fats, water can reduce hunger and control appetite, dehydration can cause hunger and affect the intensity of your workout. So more water equals efficient fat burning, less hunger and awesome workouts.. Drink up!

6. Minimise alcohol consumption

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram (double the amount in protein and carbs) and they are empty calories providing zero nutritional value to the body, add sugar filled mixers and you’ve got a calorie bomb in a glass. What’s worse is that as long as your liver is metabolizing alcohol it does not break down dietary fats, so any dietary fats in your system get stored as body fat. It also lowers our willpower levels and can increase hunger, a combination like that ends in fat and carb heavy McDonalds or KFC.

To limit the damage keep the boozy rounds to a minimum (within your 20% indulgences), opt for dry wine or clear spirits with sugar free mixers such as soda or diet coke and eat high in protein and carbs while drinking.

7. Sleep

Lose fat by sleeping more. A tired brain can make you decide to skip the gym, eat high calorie afternoon snacks or opt for take out rather then a healthy home cooked meal.. a recipe for fat gain. Most adults need 7 – 9 hours sleep a night and good quality sleep keeps our hunger hormones balanced, helping to control our appetite, cravings and feelings of fullness. Zzzzzzzzleep is good!

What do you think of my 7 tips for fat loss? 

Let me know if they helped you and please share with a friend you know would love the motivation.

T xx